
St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church had her humble beginning in a tent in the vicinity of Knox Furniture Store. The year was around nineteen hundred. This location was short lived as the small band of Christians, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. P. A. Northington, purchased some property next door, where the Simpson-Grove Fellowship Hall now stands. The original church was the usual hip roof structure with a vestibule equipped with a bell. This building was in use for many years. Baptism services were conducted at the Round Bale Pond, then located at the end of what is now Second Street, and not far behind where the Stowe Lumber Company is located. On December 24th, St. Luke burned to the ground. However the Lord blessed us with an edifice next door, which was erected in 1951. St. Luke continued to have worship services twice a month at the Presbyterian Church on Spring Street not far from Mary Allen College. When the new church was finished, it was at this time that Rev. Simpson began pastoring full-time, making St. Luke the first Historically Black Church in Houston County to be a full-time church. Other pastors who served St. Luke besides Rev. Northington were Rev. Andrew Mitchell, Rev. Ira M. Hendon, Rev. Joe James, Sr., Rev. Henry Robinson, and Rev. C. L. Cooke. Rev. J. R. Woodall, Rev. J. R. Simpson, Rev. J. T. Grove, Rev. Lonnie Franks, Rev. Ralph P. Taylor, Rev. Larry J. Mouton, Jr., Rev. Lance A. Mann. We are now blessed to be under the leadership of newly installed Pastor, Rev. Albert Moses, III, MDiv., along with his wife, First Lady Raven Moses. As of October 15, 2017 we have seen the Lord move in magnificent ways as we continue going higher in the Lord! We anticipate that the Lord will use us to compel men, women, boys and girls to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.